This post may contain affiliate links. Read the full disclosure here
Eight plus years ago when I was pregnant with my first child I did what every first time parent does…I read What to Expect When You’re Expecting. I read no more than a week or two ahead at a time so that I always knew exactly what should be happening in my pregnancy at that moment…and freaking out if I wasn’t right on track.
Talk about a waste of time! Sure WTEWYE is a great book to read for the first time mom who is into all of the technical stuff (which IS important), but it isn’t going to prep you for the reality of parenting. You need a book that is going to be one that gives you some quick bits of information vs. paragraphs because you are going to have a baby in your arms or on your boob when you have the most time reading. Something that you can get some tips to make things That book just did not seem to exist at the time and I had to get my information the way that every modern mother does…Facebook.
Flash forward to a few months ago when I saw that one of my favorite bloggers, Asha Dornfest of Parent Hacks and Minimalist Parenting, was looking for a promotion team for her upcoming Parent Hacks book. I jumped at the chance. Sure, I’ve got 3 kids now and have learned plenty of my own hacks, but I am always willing to learn something new.
Last week I got my book and I have had so much fun flipping through it. Many belly laughs and “why didn’t I think of that” moments followed. Asha has split her 134 Hacks into 11 Chapters and Craighton Berman brings each hack to life with the perfect illustrations.
These chapters cover a little bit of everything, but mostly geared towards the potty training and under crowd.
- Pregnancy & Postpartum
- Organizing Time & Space
- Poop, Pee, & Potty
- Bath Time & Grooming
- Getting Dressed
- Food & Mealtime
- Health & Safety
- Fun & Learning
- Travel & Outings
- Holidays & Special Occasions
My kids and I have outgrown some of these amazing hacks (the section regarding Pregnancy and Postpartum especially!), but there are still plenty to help us out!
Some of my favorites include:
- 7 ways to keep your kids entertained on a plane WITHOUT ELECTRONICS – What is this sorcery? Our family lives and dies by our electronics, but getting a blanket to make an in-seat fort sounds way more fun than another round of Angry Birds.
- Clean up GLITTER with play dough – WHY did I not think of this?! Glitter, while beautiful and fun, is the messiest craft item ever created. This Hack makes me actually reconsider my ban on glitter…and play dough.
- Trick the public restroom autoflush sensor by covering it with toilet paper – Absolute genius…and I might use that as an adult.
- Sort your to-do list by the time it takes to complete each job – Step 1: Make a to-do list…
- While swimming keep valuables hidden in a disposable diaper – OMG YES! With beach weather here (Yay Florida living) the beach trips are just around the corner and I am all over this!
- Before painting, rub lotion on kids’ hands for easier cleanup – So each!! This would have been very useful during those fingerpainting play dates when the kids were small.
I think that this might be my new go-to baby gift…along with diapers. Do yourself a favor and get this book for yourself, and for the new mom in your life.
What are some of your favorite Hacks for making parenting just a little bit easier?
This book was provided FREE for review and promotion. Opinions are 100% my own.