On March 26, 2015 I decided to take a break from Crunchy, Crafty, and Highly Caffeinated. I was rapidly approaching a dark place and wasn’t having fun with my writing anymore…and my jealous bone was twitching. My husband encouraged me to step back, rethink things, and when the time was right to return…or start all over. Whatever I wanted.
This was a wonderful idea and has proved to be amazing for my soul and my family.
Now, don’t get me wrong, I miss my blog. I miss my blog community. I miss writing. It was just time for a break.
Recently Katie from Recipe for Perfection asked for an update on how things have been going so here you go, an update on the life of Anne Marie from Crunchy, Crafty, and Highly Caffeinated!
I have made some serious life changes and I am feeling like a better person for it.
1) I am now working out AT LEAST 6 days a week and eating better. A few weeks ago our family was getting ready to out to eat and I couldn’t find any non-yoga pants that fit…except a pair of capris left over from my last pregnancy (almost 4 years ago!). This was bottom of the barrel depressing for me. Then I stood on the scale which confirmed what the pants were telling me. It was time to make some changes.
I started off hoping to do Jillian Michaels’ 30 Day Shred to jump start things, but I hurt my calf. Ever since I have been doing various barre and yoga workouts from YouTube and even getting the kids involved! This weekend my daughter attempted Sleek Technique with me and all 3 kids (and my husband!) did some Cosmic Kids Yoga. If you are following my on Instagram (@cchcblog) you have seen the progress!
Ouch! #barre with a 5yo (I really need to get her in dance classes this fall) then some cardio barre ab/butt workouts – now to focus on using my water intake today! I’m really feeling a bit dehydrated lately! Oh the struggle! #workit #workout #workinprogress #nomorefat #nomorecrap #hydrate #exercise #eathealthy #ballet #getfit #gethealthy #getadancersbody #fightthefat #freshstart #drop30pounds #sweatitout #starteryogi #stretchitout #sleektechnique #icandothis #thenewme #trynewthings #fitfam
2) I have cut back my coffee intake. Sure, I still require my morning cup (black as always), but that is where it stops. I will always love coffee, but I have started drinking more hot tea, iced green tea, and water. Surprisingly there wasn’t the usual crash (read: HEADACHES) that accompanies a dip in my coffee consumption, but I think that the tea has added just enough caffeine to save me.
3) I have started taking a daily probiotic. My husband found an article that connected taking a daily probiotic to helping with depression so we decided to give it a try. It takes a month or two before you really start to see the effects of this, but I will say my PMS mood swings are smaller (sorry for the TMI!) so I think that they are doing something!
4) I am very strict about my bedtime and am in bed with lights and devices off by 11pm. Sure, this may still sound late, but I was staying up until after midnight most nights which led to me being groggy in the morning. It is also very difficult for me to go to bed much earlier since we record podcasts three nights a week. The other night I actually had lights out by 10:30pm and woke up before my alarm feeling refreshed!
5) I am eating healthier and in more appropriate portions. There are a lot more veggies and chicken in my life and less baked goods…especially baked goods that I didn’t make. We are also working on getting the kids to eat better and have adapted the “You don’t have to eat it” method. Basically, you don’t have to eat what is on your plate…but that’s dinner. No, you cannot have a banana instead of the salad. I am also making myself protein smoothies to fight the mid-afternoon snack gremlin.
1) Mondays are not as scary as they once were! When I was writing for CCHC full time I always aimed to publish on Monday mornings which involves the usual round of social media and link parties. This occupied a ton of my time, but I don’t have the money to hire someone to do it like other bloggers might. Also on Monday mornings I have to do podcast prep for Greetings from Storybrooke, as well as a social media campaign (#GothamMonday) for Legends of Gotham. Now, I don’t have to rush through my podcast responsibilities in order to promote my blog post.
2) I have been making awesome podcasts!! With topics ranging from from Drunk to Superman to Manners with everything in between we have been bringing GREAT CONTENT to the internet. Here are 2 of my favorites! WARNING: There is some language in the second video! https://youtu.be/u8zAtdqHoiM https://youtu.be/y3uI7t3t0Dw
3) I’m actually making a little money! Writing for CCHC I was never able to land any paying gigs. Sure, I got some free product and affiliate credits, but those don’t pay the bills! For the podcasts we recently launched a Patreon. So far we have hit 2 of our milestone goals and are well on our way to milestone number 3 thanks to our 24 Patrons.
1) I am taking time to read almost every day! Most days I get to carpool earlier than necessary so that I can get some reading in while #3yodictator naps (when I’m lucky!). I’m only averaging 10 pages/day, but it is better than the ZERO that I had been reading.
2) I am cutting myself some slack. I am not perfect. I may not always hit my hydration goal or not nibble while I am making meals, but as long as I KEEP TRYING things will get better.
1) Kid #3 (#3yodictator) is FINALLY potty training…and rather quickly and easily. I finally learned that it had to be when he was ready and that point was when HE decided he wanted to go to Pre-K in the fall. We have only had 2-3 accidents in 2.5 days and I don’t think that there is any looking back. We are still using a Pull Up at night, but I will work on that after we move.
2) Speaking of…we are moving! With the end of the school year and the end of our lease our family has decided to move farther south. We are starting to look for a rental in the Orlando area and could not be more excited! We have been living in Georgia for close to 5 years with our closest family being around 4 hours away, now we will have family right there. And it won’t hurt to be near Disney World, Universal Studios (HARRY POTTER!), and the beach. I recently realized that 2/3 of our kids have never been to the beach and that Kid #1 was only 5 months old when he was there. WHOOPS!
3)Spending quality time with my family. We have been able to do things like go out to eat and play at the park without me feeling like I have to “get the perfect shot” before I can enjoy myself! We are really looking forward to going to Free Comic Book Day at Rock Shop this weekend. This will be the first time that it isn’t just my husband and Kid #1 going and the little kids haven’t stopped talking about it!
4) My dad and his girlfriend came to visit for Spring Break!!! We spent a few days visiting and going to the World of Coca-Cola, walking around Marietta Square and eating yummy food with family and it was so refreshing! I hate that my kids are growing up so far away from their grandfather, but that makes our time with him so much for precious. Kid #3 became VERY attached and for days after they left kept drawing pictures for Papa and Sandy.
A photo posted by Anne Marie DeSimone (@cchcblog) on
So there you have it! A little update on what has been going on in my life. I may not be ready to take on blogging full time again, but I will periodically check in. Please check out my other projects Greetings from Storybrooke, Legends of Gotham, and Universe Box. I do occasionally blog over there in addition to recording the weekly podcasts.