I have had a sweet tooth my entire life. I have not met a chocolate candy or cookie that I did not like, but I know that sugar is not good for you. Sugar is a drug and causes your brain to have similar effects as alcohol and cigarettes which is all the more reason to reduce it from your diet.
BUT WHAT ABOUT THE CRAVINGS?!
We can handle that with these simple and delicious coconut oil chocolates. When I first started trying to cut sugar from my diet I found this recipe from Beyond the Peel, but I have made some adjustments and I hope you enjoy them!
1/2 cup coconut oil
1/4 cup cocoa powder
1 TBSP honey
1 TBSP almond butter or other nut butter
pinch of salt
handful of almonds or some other mix in
- Add 1/2 cup coconut oil to a microwave safe bowl
- Add 1 TBSP (or a drizzle) of honey on top.
- Microwave the ooey gooey mess for 30 sec – 1 minute then mix the 2 together to combine. This will help keep the honey from separating later.
- Add the 1 TBSP or so of almond butter. This is where I strongly move away from the original post. I miss Reeses’ Cups so much I decided that mixing in almond butter would rock…it does. I have also used sunbutter (sunflower seed butter) and have had very positive results.
- Add 1/4 cup cocoa powder. The higher quality cocoa you use the higher quality chocolate you will have. I, personally, just use whatever is on sale when I am shopping. 🙂
- Pour that awesometastic mixture into your pan. I used a small glass baking dish, but silicone molds would be perfect here.
- Add the almonds…or coconut…or whatever mix-ins you want!
- Put the dish in the fridge…or if you are really having a chocolate craving the freezer! It depends on how hot you made your coconut oil for how long it will take the chocolates to set. I have found that around a 30 minutes is a general good time. FLASH FORWARD….remove pan from fridge.
What are your favorite ways to fight your chocolate cravings without giving in to sugar? Leave me some links below of your favorite sugar free chocolate recipes below!